10.07.2011

Miracles

She sits on the floor and nurses her new baby.  From across the room I can see the scars on her chest as she recounts the story of C's delivery.  We then swap stories about late night feedings, this amazing thing called motherhood, and I finally work up the courage to ask her.

"Can I tell your story?"

She looks up and smiles, knowing what I'm referring to.  "Of course," she says, "that would be great."

On September 12th of this year, Kelly brought sweet little C into the world.  She lay in her hospital bed and marvelled at the miracle in the basinet next to her.  A miracle because on September 12th 2001, Kelly was in a different hospital room, recovering from her second lung biopsy and waiting to see if her cancer had relapsed. 

At age 16, Kelly was diagnosed with Stage 3 non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.  While other girls were stressing about their first kiss and what to wear to school, Kelly was suffering through 6 months of high dose chemo, losing up to 30 lbs off of her already small frame, going into Acute Renal Failure, suffering from sepsis and a collapsed lung among many, many other things.  When she found out that her cancer had, indeed, relapsed she was understandably devastated. 

"The relapse was so much worse because I knew what I was getting into and I knew how incredibly sick I was going to be again"  Amazingly, she recieved a stem cell transplant and other than immune system problems, has been considered healthy since then.  Kelly was able to concieve naturally, (again, miraculous considering the incredible amounts of chemo she withstood), and now has a sweet, squishy baby girl to tell her story to one day.

Kelly, thank you for letting me tell your story, thank you for letting me be a part of such a special time in your life.  To my other readers, please visit any one of the links at the end of my post and consider making a small donation to cancer research and cancer awareness.  I am not above asking for your money, time or services if it means we can put an end to all types of cancer.  Kelly's story has a beautiful ending but the reality is there are many that don't.  I have amazing clients and amazing readers so I know you guys will do what you can!!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Now go enjoy this sweet ball of sleepiness!!















http://www.foundationforkara.org/support.htm


http://declansjourney.com/

Thanks again!  Have a great weekend!!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing. It is so important to remember how blessed we are every.single.day. And beautiful work Heather. I have really enjoyed watching your work grow and blossom the last couple months - you are unstoppable! I love the combination of the crate, flooring and brick wall, fantastic! (and the darling squishy baby, of course! ;) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly is my niece and I was very touched by your writeup and of course, the pix are phemenomal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding article! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article. Your views are much like my own concerning this subject. I will visit daily your blog because I know. It may be very beneficial for me. a course in miracles youtube videos

    ReplyDelete